Sunday, September 29, 2013

Wahoo!

Wahoo!

I’ve had a lot of fun playing with the stamp set from September’s Paper Pumpkin kit. I love the size of the Wahoo! stamp. It’s such a happy, energetic word that it needed to be big to truly convey a sense of excitement. (I picture Walter Matthau bellowing out a big “wahooooooo!” riding on the back of a motorcycle when he played Albert Einstein in the movie “I.Q.” . . . and it makes me smile.)
I wanted to share a few fun projects I’ve made with the stamp set. The first is a card I’d give to someone to congratulate them for a new job, a new house, for accomplishing a goal, or maybe just for surviving another year!
I used the leftover stencil from the April Paper Pumpkin kit to cut out the word bubble from the Etcetera Designer Series Paper. Simply Stars is a perfect companion stamp set. The bright, cheery stars help the excitement jump off the front of this card.
Continuing with the theme of giving something to a loved one to help him or her celebrate, I also decorated this gift bag.
I used the leftover circle from the rocket image from the Blast Off Stamp Set for the polka dot to emboss the glittery dots onto a piece of Coaster Board that I had cut into a banner shape. Then I spritzed on some Gumball Green and Bermuda Bay ink to give it a fun, ombre look.
My favorite project is next. I was in my kitchen the other night and I had a thought strike. What if I made a card on a plain white base that had a big surprise inside? Well, here it is.
I’m a fan of clean and simple cards, especially if they’re sparkly! I mixed some Gold Stampin’ Glitter with Gold Stampin’ Emboss Powder for my sparkly Wahoo! Are you ready for the surprise inside?
PINK and sparkly gold confetti!! It makes me so happy that I hate to admit how many times I’ve opened and closed the card and sat and smiled to myself. It’s like a surprise party. I just love it.
I used a Brayer to roll the Strawberry Slush color onto the inside of the card. After letting it thoroughly dry, I used the eraser from a pencil to dot on the confetti with VersaMark, then used the same gold glitter/embossing powder mix. I finished it with the “You Did It!” sentiment in White Stampin’ Emboss Powder so it really popped. I could definitely see giving this card to someone as another congratulations, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to part with it. Maybe I’ll just have to make another that I can keep at my desk and flip open and closed if I ever have a bad day.
If you haven’t seen “I.Q.”, you should check it out. It’s such an adorable movie, and I love the bit of inspiration I feel when I hear Einstein ask, “When’s the last time you said ‘Wahoo’?” When is the last time you said it?

Melody H.
Concept Artist

No comments: